Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (ガメラ2 レギオン襲来 Gamera Tsū: Region Shūrai?, Gamera 2: Advent of Legion) also called Gamera 2: Attack of Legion is a 1996 kaiju ("monster") genre film directed by Shusuke Kaneko. It is a sequel to Gamera: Guardian of the Universe and the tenth Gamera film in the series. The film introduces the Legion, a race of insectoid extraterrestrials that invade the Earth, prompting Gamera to come to the planet's defense.
A meteor shower carries hostile insectoid creatures to Japan, where they rapidly reproduce.
- Toshiyuki Nagashima as Colonel Watarase
- Miki Mizuno as Midori Honami
- Tamotsu Ishibashi as Hanatani
- Mitsuro Fukikoshi as Obitsu
- Ayako Fujitani as Asagi Kusanagi, a young girl with a spiritual connection to Gamera.
- Yusuke Kawazu as Nojiri
- Akira Ohashi as Gamera - The films titular kaiju, Gamera is a giant fire-breathing turtle that was created thousands of years ago by an advanced civilization to defend the Earth from world-threatening forces.
- Mizuho Yoshida as Legion - The main villain, Legion is a race of extraterrestrials that resemble ants which travel across the galaxy to colonize unsuspecting planets, killing off the native populace in the process.
- Gamera 2: The Real Guardian of The Universe - International marketing title
- Gamera 2: Advent of Legion - Japanese title
- Gamera: Attack of Legion - U.S. DVD title
- Gamera vs. Legion - English market title
While it's considered the weakest Gamera film of the Heisei trilogy, a lot of praise was still garnered - particularly towards the amount of monster action contained in the movie, and the astoundingly ambitious design of Legion.