Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris (ガメラ3 邪神〈イリス〉覚醒 Gamera Surī Jyashin Irisu Kakusei?) is a 1999 Japanese science fiction film directed and co-written by Shusuke Kaneko. The film is a sequel to Gamera 2: Attack of Legion and the eleventh feature film in the Gamera series, and the third film in the new 1990s trilogy of Gamera films. The film stars Ayana Hirasaka (Ai Maeda), an emotionally troubled young girl who forms a psychic bond with a highly aggressive parasitic creature known as Iris that feeds upon her rage and hate for the giant fire-breathing turtle monster called Gamera, who had killed Hirsaka's parents. Gamera later is defending Japan froma swarm of monsters called Gyaos when he is confronted by Iris.
Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris was shown at the 1999 Toronto International Film Festival and received the Mainichi Film Concours award for Best Sound Recording in Japan. The film received positive reviews from film critics who praised it's special effects with many praising it as one of the best in the Gamera film series.
In a small Japanese village, a young woman discovers the means for her revenge, while Gyaos birds are sighted around the world and humankind debates Gamera's allegiance.
- Shinobu Nakayama as Mayumi Nagamine – One of the main characters of the series. Mayumi is a scientist who is intrigued by Gamera, and forms a partnership with Asagi due to the latter's past experiences with the monster.
- Ai Maeda as Ayana Hirasaka – Ayana is a tormented young girl whose parents were unintentionally killed by Gamera's previous feud with the Gyaos. She forms a bond with Irys, and her rage fuels the creature's appetite for destruction.
- Ayako Fujitani as Asagi Kusanagi - Asagi is Gamera's former human companion, who sacrificed their bond during his fight with the Legion three year earlier.
- Senri Yamasaki as Mito Asakura - A sadistic woman who believes that Gamera is an evil spirit bent on destruction, and that Iris is the key to his downfall.
- Toru Tezuka as Shinya Kurata - A mysterious man who claims to be a descendant of the advanced civilization that created Gamera and the Gyaos.
- Takasaki Nayami as GF Colonel Takoshi - The colonel of the Japanese Self-Defense Force.
- Hakosaki Sato as GF General
- Andre Ramirez as GF Lt. Damien Cordova
- Kenji Soto as Dr. Sato
- Yukijiro Hotaru as Inspector Osako
- Masahiko Tsugawa as Commander in Chief of the Air Defence Command (Lieutenant General)
- Hirofumi Fukuzawa as Gamera - The movie's titular kaiju and the Guardian of the Universe, Gamera is a giant, fireball-breathing turtle and an ancient biological constructed monster created to destroy the Gyaos, a race of vampiric avian-like creatures.
- Akira Ohashi as Irys - The show's main kaiju antagonist, Irys is a creature that must feed on bodily fluids to survive, and forms a spiritual bond with Ayana, using her hatred for Gamera to feed his strength. He is Gamera's ultimate foe.
Many members of the crew who worked on Gamera 3: The Revenge of Iris had previous work in the Gamera film series. Director Shusuke Kaneko directed both Gamera: The Guardian of The Universe (1995) and Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (1996). Gamera 3 marks the first Gamera film that Kaneko had screenwriting credits on as he co-wrote the film with Kazunori Ito who had previously wrote the previous two 1990s Gamera films. The music composer Kow Otani and special effects director Shinji Higuchi was also a regular with the series, previously working on both films.