The Conjuring 2 (previously called The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Poltergeist) is the sequel to the film The Conjuring, released on June 10, 2016. The film is directed by James Wan. Both Wilson and Farmiga, who portrayed Ed and Lorainne Warren in the original film, reprised their role for this film.
Back in the 1970's, the Warrens investigated claims of demonic possession from a pair of sisters in Enfield, England. Over the course of the investigation the Warrens witnessed levitations, dematerialization, and had conversations with the demon itself.
- Vera Farmiga as Lorraine Warren
- Patrick Wilson as Ed Warren
- Frances O'Connor as Peggy Hodgson
- Madison Wolfe as Janet Hodgson
- Simon McBurney as Maurice Grosse
- Franka Potente as Anita Gregory
- Lauren Esposito as Margaret Hodgson
- Patrick McAuley as Johnny Hodgson
- Benjamin Haigh as Billy Hodgson
- Maria Doyle Kennedy as Peggy Nottingham
- Simon Delaney as Vic Nottingham
- Shannon Kook as Drew Thomas
- Sterling Jerins as Judy Warren
- Bob Adrian as Bill Wilkins
- Abhi Sinha as Harry Whitmark
- Robin Atkin Downes as Demon (voice)
- Bonnie Aarons as Demon Nun (Valak)
- Javier Botet as The Crooked Man
The film was given an early release date of October 23, 2015. A close friend of the real Lorainne Warren, who discussed the upcoming film with her, described it as follows:
|“||The case file they’re looking at [occurs] in the late ’70s and centers on two sisters in Enfield, England, who were allegedly possessed. Warren said she personally saw them levitate and even saw one of the sister dematerialize in front of her only to be found 20 minutes later stuffed into an oversized fuse box, contorted in such an unnatural way that they couldn’t have replicated it if they tried. She also said that the demon spoke directly to her husband on many occasions. Warren cited this case as one of the most terrifying experiences of her career.||„|
Upon its announcement, the film's story was immediately confirmed to not be a direct sequel to the first film as that would require the writers to visit the Amityville Haunting, which has been extensively covered by cinema already. The writers felt it necessary to focus on one of the Warren's lesser-known cases, much in the same way that they did with the case from the first film.
Director of the first film, James Wan, initially declined the offer to direct the second installment. However, Warner Bros. was eventually able to coax him into the position. This unfortunately meant that the film would not be ready in time for its initial release in 2015, so the official release date was pushed back to June 10, 2016.
Main Article: The Nun
It was also announced that a spin-off based on Valak / Demon Nun from the film is being produced. Filming began in mid 2017 and the film is expected to be released on July 13, 2018.